This one gets the big tick for the foodies as well as the skateboarders! The fine folkes over at Volcom are treating you on June 1st to not only a skateboard spectacular…but also to ONE HUNDRED of our homemade burgers AND a beer! (18+ on the grog)
Keep eyes peeled for more on this as well as events kicking off left/right and centre through the summer!
Take a look at our job advert below and please help us spread the word to people you think would like to come and work with us…
SPIT & SAWDUST, skate park / shop / café / art space
STAFF Opportunities / 2 positions available
12 hours per week / £8 per hour.
About Spit & Sawdust
Spit & Sawdust is a multi-aspect community space in Cardiff, which opened in April 2014 with a skate park, café, art programme and skate shop.
The skate park has a street based design with an array of banks, blocks, hips and other obstacles. Alongside the park is a skate shop in partnership with City Surf and a café serving homemade food. Throughout the space we support a programme of events, performances, screenings, exhibitions and residencies giving creative practitioners from all art forms a platform to experiment and present their work.
Spit & Sawdust is still in its infancy and we have lots of ideas and ambition to develop social and community projects in the coming years.
We’re a not-for-profit social enterprise and a Company Limited by Guarantee. We are run by a board of Directors, and don’t have shareholders. This means all our surplus is put back into the organisation to make the space better.
Main duties of the role
We are a very small team at Spit & Sawdust, currently 2 staff with a couple of casual staff and freelancers who help out and work specifically on the art programme. This means that everyone takes on all day-to-day tasks to make sure Spit & Sawdust operates smoothly – running the café, skate park and shop, the café being the aspect that takes the majority of our time.
On each shift you, alongside one other member of staff, will need to:
- Greet customers;
- Take orders and payments for the shop, skate park and café;
- Complete all aspects of food preparation including making chips, meat burgers, veggie burgers, small snacks and pastries, baking cakes, making dough and any other prep in-line with the current menu;
- Cook and serve food orders;
- Make and serve drinks;
- Man the shop and develop a knowledge of the products, keep displays stocked and tidy;
- Undertake regular checks of the skate park. We need to make sure everyone is using it as safely as possible and respecting other users and any incidents and accidents are recorded;
- Undertake First Aider duties when required and once training course is completed;
- Complete park safety and equipment maintenance checks and help with upkeep;
- Clean – all areas. This is a major part of the day-to-day running of Spit & Sawdust. With such a big space to keep tidy and clean it is what we spend a lot of our time doing. This includes daily tidying and cleaning of the space and equipment in the café, kitchen, skate park, lobby, halls, stairs and toilets, weekly additional cleaning tasks inside and outside, and monthly deep cleans in the kitchen and other areas.
- Complete some general admin and finance duties such as cashing up, recording takings and other daily figures, stock taking, ordering stock, membership management, general record keeping, checking emails, opening post, admin related to marketing and events and booking private hire and party sessions.
- Undertake some health and safety daily and weekly tasks such as logging fridge temperatures, testing fire alarms and temperature probes, monthly kitchen log, checking fire extinguishers and emergency lighting.
- Help with social media – posting activity, videos and information to platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, You Tube and our website.
- Open up, close down and lock up making sure all security procedures are performed, and the alarms are set etc.
- Perform other ad hoc duties/non-daily tasks which could include representing Spit & Sawdust at events, helping out with the art programme, attending meetings, inputting into menu developments, recipe testing, ideas and discussions about what could be improved.
We aim to run Spit & Sawdust as a non-hierarchical organisation. We are genuinely looking for people to work with us, not for us. The above is what the staff on shift have to get done every day to make Spit & Sawdust runs smoothly, but there is plenty of opportunity to bring your knowledge, experience and interests to the role and input into Spit & Sawdust’s development, events and projects.
Any training and support needed will be given to the right candidate to enable them to fulfil the role. You must be over 18 to apply.
Most importantly we are looking for people who:
- have a keen interest in food and cooking;
- Have experience of working in customer facing roles and have experience of working café or food environments or demonstrable transferrable skills;
- are enthusiastic and interested in being part of this type of multi-aspect community space and shares our values and ethos;
- are friendly, welcoming and approachable;
- understand that the day-to-day role can sometimes just mean lots of cleaning, but can see past that and are up for being part of a team who work to create a welcoming, friendly and creative space for people to spend time in;
- are flexible in their attitude to work and hours;
- Are responsible, mature and reliable;
- show initiative and work in a proactive and conscientious manner.
Additional, desirable but not essential criteria
- first aid qualification.
- Welsh speaker.
Hours of work
Hours will be 12 per week. This is usually 2x 6 hour shifts but it may be one longer/one shorter or it may be more hours some weeks and less the next. Your hours will average out to 12 per week over any extended period.
Our current opening times are Tues- Fri 5pm to 10pm (Wed-Fri from 12pm in School Holidays), Sat 10am-7pm and Sun 10am – 10pm. You must be willing to work weekends and evenings in line with our opening times, there may be daytime work available during school holidays and additional hours to cover annual leave and events.
We are looking for people who are flexible, but also expect people who are interested in working 12 hours a week to have other commitments, hobbies and jobs in their lives and understand we will also need to be flexible and accommodating of those.
Pay, Annual Leave and Pension
Pay will be £8 per hour, paid every 4 weeks in arrears.
Sickness, maternity, paternity and adoption pay will be statutory.
You will be entitled to paid annual leave of 28 days pro rata.
You will be automatically enrolled into a workplace pension scheme during 2016.
You will also get free entry to the skate park (for yourself or a family member), staff food whilst on shift and 25% staff discount in the café when not on shift.
DEADLINE:12pm Sunday 10th January 2016.
Interviews and trial shifts will be held week commencing 11th January 2016:
START DATE: Asap following appointment.
To apply, please return a covering letter stating why you are interested in the position, how your previous experience and interests fit role and person specification (no more than 2 sides A4) along with a CV and two references. Applications should be sent to email@example.com.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to interview, and then for a trial shift.
If you have any questions regarding the job or the application process please contact Nia Metcalfe on firstname.lastname@example.org or 02920 494741.
Appointment will be subject to positive references. You may also need to pass a DBS check.
Download this Job Description in PDF here: Job Description 2016
After seeing the trends of our ever valued customers over the past 1.5 years…it has become apparent you all go out on a Saturday night and don’t want to be in a warehouse off Newport Road!…so here’s a tempting offer!
Now available is a Saturday night experience unlike (m)any other!
Hire by the hour for a private shred or host a party! The world is your lobster! Skatepark space is £40 per hour and cafe available if requested in advance, just drop us a call or email!